Senior Engineer Electrical - Capability and Assurance
Apply now Job ID:
583611 Job type:
Full Time - Permanent Location:
Engineering (All disciplines) Who we are
Downer is the leading provider of integrated services in Australia and New Zealand. Through trusted relationships and world leading insight we work closely with our customers to design, build and sustain assets, infrastructure and facilities.
Downer has over 100 years' experience delivering total rail asset solutions for its passenger and freight customers. We have an extensive national footprint with approximately 20 sites across Australia. Position summary
Downer Rail and Transit Systems (RTS) is committed to providing the highest quality of Rollingstock & Overhaul services for both the local New South Wales and wider Australian markets.
We are currently seeking a Senior Electrical Engineer to be based at our North Ryde operation.About the role:
Reporting to the Electrical Engineering Discipline Manager this role is responsible for the preparation of engineering specifications, engineering reports, Electrical calculations, design layouts, production drawings and cost estimates. It also defines and development of reference designs for new Electrical systems to be incorporated into a design baseline. The role also requires development of integration plans for rolling stock and assurance of new systems and operating methodologies.
The Senior Electrical Engineer will support multiple activities across the delivery lifecycle and at times lead a team performing design and engineering tasks on rolling stock systems. This includes producing safe, compliant, reliable and cost-effective designs; supporting production, maintenance and test & commissioning with timely engineering advice and concessions; identification of the root cause of problems across the fleet; managing technical risks and opportunities with internal stakeholdersRole requirements:
Specific Essential skills and experience:
- Develops new approaches, methods, or technologies
- Complete design and analysis of rail vehicle electrical components and systems.
- Conduct design process reviews.
- Develop and Approve Engineering Change Requests (ECRs).
- Raise Engineering Instructions (EIs).
- Ensure all designs comply with contractual requirements, specifications and standards. Undertake verification activities to confirm and document compliance to contract specification requirements.
- Liaise with planners and assist in the development of Project Design Schedules. Ensure that work in area of responsibility is performed in a timely manner in accordance with the schedule.
- Review suppliers design and work with them to ensure product supplied meets specification requirements.
- Liaise with production engineers and production personnel associated with the manufacturing of products. Be conscious of the tasks involved in manufacturing the product and ensure that designs are manufacturable. Communicate with the Production Supervisor to ensure common goals are achieved.
- Undertake preparation of engineering test procedures and test activities.
- Ensure that designs are optimised to minimise overall cost and assess product cost in relation to project budgets during the design process.
- Diagnose and correct failures and design deficiencies in existing rolling stock.
- Provide technical direction to product service and support personnel.
- Promotes and supports Safety Assurance activities and outcomes consistent with Rail Safety National Law.
- Degree qualifications - Electrical Engineering or Electronic Engineering or Aerospace Engineering or Mechatronic Engineering
- Be eligible for Chartered Engineer status and be eligible for National Engineering Register and State Registration
- 8 - 10 years relevant experience in rollingstock electrical design or power electronic design or equivalent
- Strong communication and literacy skills
- Electrical simulation experience and Systems Engineering experience
- Safety Assurance experience
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills, including the ability to conduct detailed investigations and provide clear and decisive results and written reports
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to provide rapid and effective engineering support to management and trade staff
- Demonstrates individual commitment by proactively leading and participating in best practice Zero Harm
- Engages people in creating and maintaining safe and healthy work environments that support and promote physical and psychological wellbeing
- Recognizes the potential benefits of change
Downer Group believes that our employees are fundamental to the culture and success of the company. Our people enjoy working for us because we offer a challenging, diverse but rewarding work environment. Downer takes pride in being an employer of choice taking responsibility and accountability for the care and protection of peers, the business, the communities and the environment in which we operate.Benefits:
The opportunity to work within an energetic, highly skilled team
Work with a Rollingstock industry leader
A workplace focused on Zero Harm; safety is at the core of everything we do
Fulltime employment - Immediate start available
For further information please email Sharryn. Salkilld@downergroup. com.Please note:
Applications will not be accepted via email, please apply via the link.
Screening will commence prior to the closing date
Employment with Downer is subject to a Pre-Employment Medical and on-going drug and alcohol screeningHow to apply
To apply for this great opportunity please click the apply now button
Closing Date: 24 Sep 2021 AUS Eastern Standard Time