Australia - Victoria, Melbourne Job Summary
As the world's most trusted infrastructure consulting firm, we're committed to managing our business with the upmost responsibility and to always strive for better - reducing emissions, creating social value or diversifying our senior leadership and workforce.
Our Energy team have a new opportunity for a Principal Power Systems Engineer to join our 'Centre of Excellence' Grid Connections team in Melbourne. As part of a dynamic team, you will primarily focus on developing and delivering grid connection projects and support the broader Energy business.
Our highly experience team of specialists are actively involved across both development and construction phase of the projects (grid connected and off grid) in the renewable energy sector, oil & gas and mining industries.
As part of the team, you will be working on a variety of challenging grid connection projects with emerging technologies, including utility scale wind, solar, battery, pumped hydro and hybrid plants across the entire NEM (National Electricity Market) in Australia and offers a great opportunity to be a part of the fast-moving energy transformation. You will be given the opportunity to further develop your career, supporting our growth priorities for the Energy business, through industry participation (committee positions, conference presentations etc) and provide input and promote our thought leadership initiatives.
This is an exciting time for AECOM's Energy business as the energy market, and Renewable Energy in particular, continues to grow. Grid connection is becoming a critical area where proponents (utility providers and private investors and developers) are seeking specialized grid connection and network planning services across various life cycles from siting to feasibility stage through to commissioning and on-going compliance monitoring during the operations phase. The Role
The role of Principal Power Systems Engineer is an exciting and diverse opportunity for a proven Power Systems Engineer to take a step towards varied projects and work with a variety of AECOM's major Power and Energy clients throughout ANZ.
As part of this opportunity, the Principal Power Systems Engineer will:
- Undertake power system planning, grid compliance, asset modelling and commissioning compliance studies;
- Undertake grid connection due diligence including grid prospecting, connection optioneering, risk assessment and contingency analysis including primary plant sizing consideration for system strength remediation;
- Support clients on negotiating Generator Performance Standards (GPS) with regulator and market operator (AEMO) and network service providers to ensure the best technical and commercial outcomes for their projects;
- Lead GPS due diligence review process on behalf of proponents including supporting negotiation of connection agreements;
- Support business process improvement initiatives;
- Support strategic pursuits and bids/proposals for major projects working closely with different business lines across regions and geographies;
- Liaises with OEMs and clients to drive the most optimal technical outcomes for the project(s).
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering with major in power systems;
- Proven relevant professional experience working for an Engineering Design Consultancy or an OEM or Utility Network Planning and Customer Connections.
- Proven understanding of transmission and distribution planning and customer connection process (technical requirements) for VRE and dispatchable generating plants including energy storage.
- Hands-on experience delivering projects from the concept planning through commissioning to the grid compliance monitoring phase.
- Strong understanding of technical requirements (NER schedules S5.2 and S5.3) and guidelines for connecting new generators and loads (including new guidelines for DMAT) including compliance requirements for registration and commissioning.
- Undertaken and reviewed detailed grid connection studies using PSS/e,PSCAD and Digsilent's PowerFactory including PSS/E-PSCAD benchmarking and Model Acceptance Test(MAT).
- Proficient in Python Scripting.
- Managed or supported interconnection designs for VRE projects connecting at transmission or distribution level.
- Demonstrated understanding of control and protection principles of high voltage substation equipment, transmission lines, generators, transformers, reactive equipment, etc.
- Demonstratable experience in preparing technical design documentation/due diligence report;
- Exceptional levels of written and oral communication.
What we Offer
- Accredited CPEng or working towards Chartership status with Engineers Australia, highly advantageous.
The Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA) recognises AECOM as taking a sophisticated, holistic approach to supporting women and men's participation throughout our workplace.
We provide a diverse and inclusive work environment and offer many benefits to ensure your professional development & wellbeing.
- Flexible start and finish times, working from home, part time and job share options;
- Work-from-home equipment packages and assistance;
- Multidisciplinary and innovative projects for career development;
- State of the art, modern and contemporary offices;
- Paid parental and partner leave;
- Purchased additional annual leave + salary packaging;
- Corporate Employee discounts from up to 400 retailers;
- Wellbeing benefits eg. Vaccinations, health insurance discounts;
- Employee stock purchase plans;
- Study assistance;
- Professional and technical development opportunities.
AECOM does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or recruitment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, AECOM explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of AECOM and in the absence of a signed Agreement, AECOM will not consider or agree to payment of any recruitment fee. What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future. Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world, but working to "make amazing happen" in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. Job Category
Engineering - Power Business Line
Power Business Group
Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS) Country
Australia Position Status
Full-Time Requisition/Vacancy No.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.