QinetiQ employs more than 6000 people in 51 locations around the world, offering our customers premier expertise in advice, services and creative technology-based products.
QinetiQ Australia, part of the global QinetiQ group, provides technological and scientific expertise to help customers protect and advance their vital interests. As an innovative science and technology company, we help solve some of our customers' most challenging problems. Our determination to deliver and improve today and anticipate and shape tomorrow, makes QinetiQ a very exciting, rewarding and respected place to work and learn.
We are currently looking for an Mechanical Engineer
to join our Integrated Engineering Services (IES)
division, based in Sydney
. Working alongside world-leading defence scientists our IES
division offers multi-disciplinary professional engineering services supported by in-house manufacturing capabilities, to solve challenging engineering problems for our Defence Science and Technology clients.
Reporting directly to the Principal Engineer the Mechanical Engineer
will be required to perform complex technical engineering tasks within a multi-disciplinary team of engineers technicians and related specialists located at our facility located HMAS Waterhen, Balls Head Road Waverton NSW.Key Responsibilities include:
- Performing mechanical design of components and assemblies within a marine and underwater environment.
- Liaising with electronics engineers for the integration of electro-mechanical assemblies.
- Working with suppliers for the manufacture of components.
- Hands-on prototyping and testing of developmental equipment.
- Coordination of verification testing such as environmental testing to MIL-STDs.
- Documentation of design justification, procedures, test reports, etc.
- Operate safely within all QinetiQ Sydney as well as customer locations.
- Expected to attain an Engineering Authority under the QinetiQ and/or customers Engineering Management System.
- Perform duties requiring the application of mature professional engineering knowledge.
- With scope for individual accomplishment and coordination of more difficult assignments, deals with problems for which it is necessary to modify established guides and devise new approaches.
- Make responsible decisions on matters assigned, including the establishment of professional engineering standards and procedures, consult, recommends and advises in specialty engineering areas.
- Create a high performance culture.
- Deliver services to customers that enhance QinetiQ's reputation as a trusted provider and partner.
- Gain understanding and actively contribute when it comes to interactions between QinetiQ and the client.
- Demonstration of initiative and self-motivation.
- Compliance with legislative, regulatory, QinetiQ Quality Management Systems, Employee Safety requirements.
- Provides input into quotations for customer work including technical delivery method, resource requirements and estimated level of effort.
Candidates will need to be eligible to obtain an Australian Government Security ClearanceLife at QinetiQ
- A minimum of 3 years experience in a hardware development environment
- A general understanding of the design lifecycle and development within a Systems Engineering context.
- Designing within a CAD environment including the creation of technical engineering drawings in accordance with AS1100.
- Ability to perform mechanical analysis (FEA experience considered advantageous).
- Broad knowledge of manufacturing techniques and general design for manufacture.
- Experience of systems utilised in a marine and underwater environment (considered advantageous).
- Experience with the design and analysis of structures and components IAW relevant Australian standards (considered advantageous).
- Experience with working within a Defence environment.
- High technical documentation writing skills.
- Advanced skills using the Microsoft Office suite.
- Experience in working in an office as well as workshop environment.
- Experience operating within a quality management system.
- Experience working with electronics design engineers.
Our people and our culture make QinetiQ a great place to work, we value integrity, collaboration and performance.
QinetiQ is a Workplace Gender Equality Agency Employer of Choice, Work180 Endorsed Employer for Women and past winner of the Defence Teaming Centre Employer of Choice Awards.
We look after our people are committed to attracting and retaining the best talent in the market. We celebrate our differences and incorporate diversity and inclusion into everything we do. Our salary and benefits package is designed to make sure we support our diverse group of employees through the different stages of their life and careers.Some of our benefits include:
- Annual professional development allocation and study leave
- Flexible working options that suit you
- Leave purchase scheme to balance what's important to you
- Loyalty leave, earn extra days of annual leave up to an additional 10 days per year
- Performance bonus awards for individual and company success
- Salary continuance Insurance, protecting you financially during times of ill health
- Cultural or Religious day of significance leave to observe days of significance to you
- Up to 18 weeks paid parental leave with no minimum qualifying period
- Dress for your day, no formal dress code just wear what feels good and suits your day
- Give back with an annual volunteering day
- Save money with our travel club and discounted health insurance options
- Be supported with employee assistance services and family violence leave
A full list of our employee benefits and further information can be found here: https://www.qinetiq. com/au/Careers/Benefits
As the defence industry in Australia grows, it is an exciting time to join QinetiQ. What the company looks like today will be different to that of tomorrow as we navigate an ever changing world. To innovate for our customers advantage we value the need for diversity of thought in everything we do. We provide a flexible and inclusive environment where our people can bring their whole selves to work, meaningfully contribute and have equal opportunity to succeed. We actively seek applications from people who come from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Aligned with our Gender Equality Strategy and Reconciliation Action Plan we also encourage applications from women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.