- Use your Engineering Management expertise to support multiple key defence projects
- Great working relationship with the customer, many of our programs have sustained a healthy customer relationship over multiple decades
- An unrestricted passion to develop our people and the flexibility and mobility to experience adjacent programs
We've come a long way in over 65 years of operation in Australia. On top of a strong underlying business, having been selected to deliver the next generation of advanced anti-submarine warships, the JORN Phase 6 radar upgrade and sustainment program and as a tier 1 F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program partner, the future is bright for our more than 4,000 employees.
Despite COVID-19, we have a strong pipeline of job opportunities and we are still hiring. We're continuing to provide the Australian Defence Force with what they need to help protect the nation. Many of our people are now safely working from home. Of course some roles can't be done from home and in those cases, we're operating with an increased focus on health and safety on-site. We're finding new ways of working in response to COVID-19 and our workforce is still delivering the best capability for Australia.
In terms of our culture, it's safety focused and inclusive. For us that means ensuring that the voices and talents of every employee are valued and that everyone has a sense of belonging. It also means providing a safe, family friendly, flexible and supportive place to work.
About the Opportunity
Due to key internal movements, opportunity has now arisen for an experienced Engineering - Production professional to support our key multiple programs (including Hunter Class and Wide Area Surveillance programs) at our Edinburgh Parks office in Adelaide.
Working closely and collaboratively with the Lines of Business, Director of Engineering Capability, Heads of Engineering, Future Business and their teams; you will provide management, functional leadership, expert technical advice and assurance of production capability to the business and its projects.
The career path for you will be strong. You will have opportunities to transfer and broadly inject your capability into other domains/projects within BAE Systems in the future.
Reporting to the Head of Engineering for Production, you will:
- Develop and execute the overall business Production Engineering strategy, focusing on major campaigns and programs and servicing all production activities within the business
- Develop and execute a framework for trades governance, assurance and maintenance of strategic trades capability as well as professional and para professional governance, assurance and production capability
- Be responsible for Production Planning capability servicing all production activities within the business
- Develop the Production Management System on behalf of the business
- Conduct tactical and strategic resource management of Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to meet business demand
- Develop, deliver and facilitate production upskilling training within the business (including trades requiring engagement with external organisations)
- Undertake independent assessments for Product Life Cycle Reviews, Design Reviews and Technical Bid Reviews
- Conduct independent assurance of production work across the business (including manufacturing engineering, production planning, manufacturing, assembly, manual trade labour, production control and quality assurance, production verification and validation)
- Provide leadership and work with the business to adopt strategic and emerging production technology and business directions such as aspects of Industry 4.0, labour saving technology/efficiencies and diversity and inclusion
- Provide regular Production capability status reporting and oversight
- Provide leadership through fostering a continuous-improvement culture, working with the business to implement efficiencies through application of lean principles
- Work with the business and other functions such as Information Management & Technology (IM&T) to provide guidance and direction to the Australian business on selection and use of production support tools with the aim of optimising production systems efficiency
- Support key business areas with significant production activity via interface to the Delivery Engineering Managers and the business, such as:
- Shipbuilding, Ship repair, overhaul and upgrade
- Wide Area Surveillance group production activity
- Provide engineering resource management for personnel in the business, within this functional capability; this includes fulfilling the role of graduate functional manager for engineering graduates and undergraduates
- Exercise engineering judgement within broad and often undefined parameters in the interests of the overall business and the business strategic direction
- Determine production and manufacturing technologies required to meet the Production Strategy and inform the Technology Program Manager of this requirement
As an ideal applicant for this opportunity, you'll have:
- Demonstrable Engineering – Production management knowledge with extensive formal engineering experience
- A proven track record in management (or equivalent) roles with demonstrated team leadership experience of a mid-large sized projects
- Tertiary qualifications and experience satisfying the requirements for membership of the Institution of Engineers, Australia
- Chartered Professional Engineer status or commitment to obtain within 12 months of appointment
- Working Knowledge of Defence project environments desirable
Don't meet every criteria listed above? Don't worry. Providing you have the right foundational experience and qualifications, we encourage you to apply. Whether it be for this role or another, your skills and competencies are of interest to us.
As Defence security clearance is required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and eligible to obtain and maintain appropriate clearance.
International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) are applicable and as such, your nationality may be a factor in determining your suitability for this role.
Further information regarding clearances is available at: https://careers.au.baesystems.com/opportunity.html
Applications should be addressed to: Kusha Sharma, Talent Acquisition Specialist- Engineering and made online here.
Whilst applications must be made online, confidential enquiries are very welcome via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We welcome and strongly encourage applications from women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders and Veterans for these opportunities. An inclusive culture and an exciting, supportive career opportunity awaits. We are also proud to be a WORK180 Endorsed Employer for Women. If you would like to know more information about how we are supporting our employees, you can view our policies and initiatives here: https://tinyurl.com/Work180BAE-Systems-Australia
To learn about other employment opportunities at BAE Systems, please visit: www.baesystemscareers.com.au
BAE Systems Australia will never request money from you during the recruitment process. Please be aware of scam messages asking for money for an administration fee, visa or similar. If you receive such a message please report it to Scam Watch www.scamwatch.gov.au/report-a-scam.
Job applications should only be submitted via the BAE Systems Australia website and not via email. If you receive an email from BAE Systems that does not utilise “@baesystems.com” as the domain, it is not legitimate. BAE Systems does not use gmail, aol, Hotmail or similar accounts.