South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people's lives now and for generations to come.
Illawarra Metallurgical Coal is a long term and leading coking coal supplier which operates two underground metallurgical coal mines, two preparation plants and a logistics chain. About the Cadetship Program
We are targeting students in their final year of school who are interested in completing a Mining Engineering degree, or students who are currently studying Mining Engineering (1st or 2nd year).
You will have the right to live and work in Australia. You will be willing to complete a medical assessment and be available to commence work in late February/early March 2022.
You will be interested in working for an organisation that embraces the diversity each person brings to the workplace.
This position will be offered on a part-time fixed term basis for the duration of your studies with a view toward full-time employment as a Graduate Mining Engineer upon successful completion of the cadet program. What you'll be doing...
You will complete a Degree in Mining Engineering, through a combination of formal (part-time) studying and practical on-the-job experience.
Throughout your formal training and practical experience in the workplace, you will have the opportunity to:
What you'll bring to the table...
- Gaining underground experience at the production face
- Undertaking projects to improve controls for managing key risks
- Undertaking projects to improve operational efficiencies
- Assisting process coordinators to plan activities.
- Participate in a team that embraces collaboration and an inclusive culture.
To be successful in this role, you'll need to meet the following selection criteria:
- Ability to commence cadetship and course in February/March 2022;
- Ability to work in a team environment;
- Commitment to full term of the cadetship and study requirements;
- Willingness to learn and develop new skills and knowledge;
- Demonstrated interest/passion in surveying and problem solving;
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong mathematical and spatial awareness;
- A current driver's licence (provisional licence accepted);
- Access to reliable transport.
This position will be based at one of our two underground mines, Dendrobium or Appin mine, which are located in the southern coalfields of New South Wales, near the coastal city of Wollongong and approximately 75 kilometres south and southwest of Sydney. Our culture
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We're focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
Our values of Care, Trust, Togetherness and Excellence will guide your decision making and interactions, while supporting you in generating courageous solutions.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Please ensure cover letter is included as part of your application. Applications for this job will close on Friday 14th January 2022.